Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Education - Part 2

I studied till Intermediate (10+2) in Muzaffarpur. A small town. My first school I remember was "Aadarsh Vidyalaya". I was in nursery. The school is non-existent. I still remember practising for independence day and republic day. Amazing were those days. The school was walkable from my home. Then went to "National Public School". Studied there class 2 and 3. I remember one tutor used to teach me that time. That was a damn. Then studied 4Th and 5Th in Jupiter Public school. In Jupiter public school they used to prepare me for various entrance exams like Sainik School, Netarhat, RIMC etc. Then my dad shifted me to a better school - Shishu Shiksha Kendra. This school was one of the costliest school of Muzaffarpur. It was situated near Jubba Sahani Park, Miscot lane. I learnt a lot here in this school. I have changed lots of school in my life. Finally, I cleared the first written test of Netarhaat. But could not clear the second test. Second test was just objective based. First test was subjective. So, I thought, if I can clear subjective test then why not objective? Perhaps I didn't prepare well for the second test. I really really wanted to study into Netarhaat Vidyalaya. But could not. Failure in Netarhaat exam was one of the biggest sadistic time of my life. I had totally broken from within. Then took admission straight into class 9Th in Zila school. Zila school is only for boys. Because in course of preparation had finished 8Th classs syllabus. Zila school was total fun. Zila school is almost 2 KM from my home. School fee was Rs 3 twice a month. Very cheap. But the study was also cheap. We used to go to school, and after attendance come out of class, and play in the field. Zila school has very big play ground. Then we used to play cricket till afternoon. I used to be busy talking with friends. I remember, I would have hardly attended 20-30 class during 2 year in zila school. We do not study in school but we had tutions. we had morning tution by Mr. D Pandey sir of the same school. He used to teach, Physicas, Maths, Adv Maths and Chemistry on thin paper-carbon. He was incharge of computer lab of school. He showed us the computer first time. It was a black and white screen. Dont know what OS. Perhaps DOS? Then after morning tution we rush to school and gossip, play, watch girls on the way. Basically, Girl's high school Chapman is very close to Zila school. And we knew the timings of Chapman. When a bell rangs in chapman you can hear them in zila school. I (with my friends) used to go home when girls also used to go their home. We synchronize our timings with them. Roads used to get jammed by girls. They walk in groups. Like 4-5 girls will walk together. And teachers in zila school were hilarious. They come to school and sleep. Good for us. That way we get ample time to play. The most funny part was quarterly exams. Whose result were never declared. You can bring all the chits in the exams. Even I also used to bring chits in the exam. Not even chits you can bring books also in exam. My performance was bad in the 9Th class. May be out of frustration of not getting into Netarhaat. But, finally in matric I secured 2Nd position in the school of 700 boys. Everybody was shocked. I was most shocked. There were 4-5 guys. Good guys I would say. Everyone were expecting these guys would top. The guy who topped in my school was extraordinary. A thin guy. He used to come to school only on the fee collection day. That is twice a month. We used to go to get his "Darshan". Lol.
Then came L S College. Studying into L S college was even more horrible. By that time pressure of JEE started building up. I had 2 separate turions for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. All at different places. Apart from that I took Brilliant tutorial study material for JEE. Brilliant tutorial is all junk. In my time. I dont know the current status. Life shrinked to books. Books become life. Then life became artificial. Like a machine. A huge rat race started. And I just participated in the race. I had no choice. A race which is never going to end. That put me into an non-ending race. Joined E & ECE at IIT Kharagpur. The father of all IITs. My rank was shh it, so I got dual degree. 5 Year course. My dad got a headache oh it's a 5 year course? Why did you take this course? One more year extra study? I learnt many thing into KGP. I am grateful to KGP. I am not talking of academic learning. Thing I learnt in KGP is there is always a better student. Always. If I am good, then someone else is better than me, someone else is better than him. And it goes on and on. Even if you are PGM, there still exist a better student. So, I understood PGM is not the solution. I will cover my stay in KGP in some other post. It's very long. 5 Years.
Now coming to philosophical part. Above was a story. Intelligence is diversified. Usability could be different. Society has always worried about practicality and usability. Society is like bunch of sheep. It goes on and on. But where? Society has not idea of that. It just goes. Society has huge inertia. Huge prejudice. An accumulated inertia of 5000 years. Have you ever thought the relationship between society and GOD? Society talks about god. But it's not much worried about it. It's more worried about usefulness. You should be useful. In some way. Then society will like you. Society always taught you do something useful. Have you ever done something which is not useful? This teaching has penetrated deep into the consciousness of the people. It keeps the mind active. You have something which is useful to society, then you are in demand. Society always works on usability. I am still discovering why does society give so much stress on usefulness? Society feels insecure? As of now I see love is absent. Love is the only way to secure you. Brain cannot secure you. Love can secure you. Einstein has a brain which was useful to society. That's why he is respected among society. He may not be respected in the kingdom of GOD. But society will respect him. Because he has something what society needs. There are many things which Einstein cannot do that. But that's okay. Society doesn't need it. If you ask Einstein to do mental binary multiplication of two 64 bit arbitrary number, can he do that? I guess he cannot. Even if he can do with 64 bits can he do with 100000000000 bits? He cannot. But the person who can do such thing may not be useful to society. So, it's kind of matter of chance that What Einstein can do society needs it. There are many thinker. Who can think much deeper than Einstein. But they think in different direction. Of which society has no idea. So, those people are not in demand. But there exist such people. Society moves in a direction. These people think in exactly opposite direction. The do have some consensus. But the approach is opposite.
Day by day, moment by moment society learns to survive better. That I believe. Next day should always be a better day. That's the purpose of today. When I use the word Society - I should be specific. Society in the west is different than the culture in the east. Have you ever thought why Jews are so intelligent? Remember, a society is always biased by it's religion. Judaism is a practical religion. That's the one reason there are no so called enlightened person in the Jews. They can be good scientist, thinkers, business men etc. But not the enlightened one. Their concept of enlightenment may be different. But it doesn't fit into our definition of enlightenment. Judaism cannot produce people like Jesus, Buddha and Mahavir. No possibility. They will produce Einstein. Einstein also thinks. Buddha also thinks. But the approach is different. Now Einstein's thinking is useful to society. Buddha's thinking may not be that useful to society. Because Buddha hits on absoluteness. And as I said, society doesn't worry much about absoluteness. It does acknowledge absoluteness. But it doesn't worry about it. Doesn't strive for it. I am not condemning anyone. However, they do have absolute definition of GOD. They definition of GOD matches with our BRAHMAN concept. The best thing I noticed in the Judaism is they say every work is sacred. They try to bring holiness in every action. So far them each act is godliness. However in Hinduism they have separated it. They separated temples with houses. So when you are in house you are no doing godly activity. But when you are in temple - you are doing godly activity. This divide a person. His consciousness is divided. But that's not the case in Judaism. There every action is holy. Better. They believe in "We". Hinduism is "I". Essentially Hinduism is all about I-ness. It doesn't care much on We-ness. They believe if every "I" is good then "We" is automatically good. Because "We" is comprised of "I". But when "I" sees "We" it feels very feeble. This happens in Hinduism. Because the "I" am talking about is the absolute I. Not the "I" you know. Concept of Hinduism is very nice somehow it cannot be applied in its completeness to everybody. That's where the problem comes. The only solution I see is that every body has to move in one direction together without any exceptions. That direction could be Love. Could be compassion. But certainly it cannot be mind.
More later. There is still much more to talk. But the post has become too lengthy :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do define usefulness?

Would you deem doing some kind of theoretical physics which may have *absolutely* no application in day to day life as useful?

What about art? To be more specific consider people who made some of the most famous paintings? Is this `useful'?

And finally, why do you think that Buddha/Jesus did something which was not meant to be `useful'?

where do you draw the line?

In any case, you write thought-provoking stuff :)

Shubh said...

You have asked a very good question. I will help you in asking better. You should ask - What is more usefulness? The word more is important here. These adjectives forced the civilization to drift into a wrong direction. Humanity has paid so much just becuase of adjectives.

You have asked - most famous painting. Same thing. You are quantifying. You are analyzing. you are comparing the painting. Comparison is attribute of mind. Heart knows know comparison. You are comparing which one is better. To me all paintings are beautiful. And if you watch from core these are all equally beautiful. This difference you see is the difference of mind. Mind will always show you difference.

Paintings by Michale Angelo might have some feature which is not there in normal paintings. Say a painintg made of girl and by normal man will depict same thing right? A girl is a girl. Does't matter who creates it. Girl made by Angelo and by normal painter will depict same feminism. You need a broader view to nullify the difference.

Equal beauty resides in every painting. you just need to observer it closely. And when you do that it will come to existence level. You can see the whole existence in any painting. And existence is same everywhere.

I didn't comment what Jesus Buddha did was useful or not. What jesus did was not useful for Jews. But it was useful for christians. What Buddha did was not useful to Devetatta. But it was useful to Ananad. Person is same. But his usability is different. To some person he is useful. To some person he is not. That's the one reason I dont give much value to usefulness. Usefulness is not absolute. One who transcend the usefulness is the real knower.

For example - I am useful to VLSI company. But I am not useful to software company. So am I useful? So, my usefulness has subjectivity assoicated with it. And anything which has subjectivity associated with it, I simply drop it.